Welcome to our 4th edition of the Spotlight series by Sophie n Me. Today we are spotlighting... 1. Your name and name of your shop(s)? i'm Vel, and my shop's name is milkwood edition. 2. Day or night job if you have one. i'm a writer. 3. Where do you get the inspiration for your designs/shop? my inspiration comes mainly from my travels to the arctic and the tropics. i've lived in the florida swamps for some years and have traveled the caribbean, which is where the ideas for my tropical designs come from. and then i've always felt drawn to the arctic. i can spend hours looking at maps of the ice or planning a travel route for my next trip north. my dream is to make it to the northwest passage some day. Great White Heron & Southern Swamp Card
4. What was your favorite candy as a child? since i grew up in europe, i have to say milka: no fluff added, it's the perfect milk chocolate. 5. What did you have for dinner today? i'm in the mood for a warm salad tonight. Tundra Swan Hand Cut Window Hanging
6. Finish this sentence "If I could fly I would...." if i could fly i would! first to northern canada, then to the south pacific. and hopefully collect lots of material for the next designs.
7. Jerry Springer or Oprah? i drove by oprah's former south florida mansion many times and am impressed with all her projects that evolve around the letter O. Moleskin Linocut Journal Arctic Fox
8. What makes you smile? my ferret sonora. ferrets are hard to capture, mine's always squirming around stealing my eraser or pencils. she's actually quite organized and keeps all her treasures in different places, depending on size and color. ferrets impress me cause they're so small and yet so fearless, sonora will easily scare away a grown golden retriever, or hiss at my neighbor's cat. i have yet to do a ferret design. i'm thinking it should probably be a ferret ouroboros.
9. What don't people know about you? before i do a design, i do extensive research about the animal or landscape i'm trying to capture. i start out with a fairly complex design and then try to break it down in several steps, until i arrive at the final design which ideally portrays the creature in as few cuts as possible. 10. How many hours do you spend a day searching for stuff on Etsy? one or two days a week sure get lost on etsy. at least.