The California Crafters Club of Etsy (CCCOE) is a group of independent artists, crafters, & artisans from California who sell their wares on Etsy.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Discussion: A Permanent Craft Marketplace at the Port of Los Angeles Opening Summer 2012

Contributed by Melissa Kojima, Artist in LA LA Land Shop

I just received an email about this permanent marketplace opening at the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) this summer, 2012, called, CRAFTED.  For $500.00/month, you would receive a permanent 10' x 10' stall with a locking, closing gate to keep your wares there.  It would be open Fridays-Sundays, but with major holidays off.  It seems like there are a lot of benefits to doing something like this, including having a constant influx of tourist and those looking for unique, handmade items see your goods.  But I was wondering if any CCCOE members could think of the down side, worries or possible problems?  I'd love to hear your thoughts and discuss it in the comments below.  Read more about them at this link.



11 comments:

  1. Biggest downside: $500/month! This would only be feasible if you have a lot of sales, which requires a lot of inventory. My shop (and my season of life) wouldn't allow for that price tag, but if your shop is large enough, it would be worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea but man what a price tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expensive! Might be more manageable if you got a few people together to share a space. And who wants to man a spot every weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, interesting concept. Too far away and expensive for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $500 is a lot of $ to invest to start with. Like all the others have said, it is a committment to have to man every weekend. It may work with a group of two or three who would rotate manning, but sales would be a work to seperate. It isn't something I would do but perhaps there are others in So Cal that would. Since it is new..it may be good to scope it out to see the traffic and business it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does seem expensive, but you can share with someone and that would cut down on the cost and there would be another person to man your booth. I would go and check out the area first and see how much traffic you might get. And I would probably wait and see how the vendors do (and they are usually willing to share if you ask!)for a few months before signing on. It is close enough to me that I might check it out and will let you all know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this. It wouldn't work for me right now but it's nice to see more options for hand made sellers. I am interested to hear more about how much traffic it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. toooo expensive and far for me.... even with 5 people sharing it would be $100 I can't afford.
    linda
    whimsicals

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to hear feedback from people who try it out. $500 doesn't seem too ridiculous a price tag to me when you compare that with the overhead of an actual retail space! Nice that you can leave your goodies there, too. I would try it out if I had the start-up capital and wasn't already working M-F.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess the upside to this is that for $500 a space a regular traveling craft show like Renegade Craft Fair only gives you a weekend to peddle your handmade wares. In comparison, $500 for a whole month is cheap and that's one thing that this space is trying to promote to attract crafters. I checked out some of the signed-on crafters and they are really amazing.

    Yes, there are options to have up a few people share the space and share the expense.

    As far as traffic, this is already a very happening touristy place with many attractions around it. They are betting on that this already built-in traffic will just over flow into this new place. I'm sure it will. But it remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is matter of time the rent is raised.. This is not for everybody, you have to have the time, $, Inventory and live near. If you have that then the option rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. We love to hear from you.
.